Wednesday, February 15, 2012

To Athens, No, The Other One... - 2/15/2012


Headed Eastward today to Athens, GA (for the 3rd time.) My second solo cross-country trip. Is uneventful a good thing? Sometimes, but when you are piloting a plane, it definitely is!

Taking off from runway 9 at KRYY, we had a wind at 120 @ 5kts. Nothing major, really didn't feel it while taking off either. Flew eastward at 3,500feet. Smooth as silk. Going to Athens, didn't see any other aircraft in the area. I was only given one traffic advisory, but didn't see him (he was below me anyways.)

Landing in Athens on runway 9 was decent, it seemed a bit bouncy, not wheels leaving the runway bouncy just... well, it didn't feel like a normal landing. It wasn't a high flare landing nor a low one, not really sure how to describe it. Taxi back to the start of 9. There is this lady in ATC, who I've talked to before, who has an awesome personality. Very friendly, kind of brings a smile to my face. You can tell she enjoys her job.

Leaving Athens, flew westward at 4,500feet. Again, smooth until I was about 15 miles from Cobb County Airport, or about 5 miles north of KPDK. It started to get bumpy up there. Was given two traffic advisories... One was for another Cessna landing at KPDK, and another was a C-130 coming straight at me landing at Dobbins. We were both descending, so we saw each other. There was no conflicting issues with spacing, we were far enough away, but still, he is huge!

Landing on runway 9 at KRYY was a bit of a challenge. While landing, winds started to pick up, and we had a recorded gust of 14 knots. Unfortunately, it made for a bounce landing, the second part of the landing was what a landing was suppose to be like, but the first part ticked me off. All pilots have their “not perfect” landing, but when the FAA Examiner is in there with me, it needs to be perfect!

So, what's next? Tomorrow, Thursday, I was going to do some solo work in the area, but due to weather moving in, I'm going to cancel it. Instead, still going into the flight school, but will be doing a practice written test. If I pass that with an 80+, I'll be signed off to take the actual test. These test are haunting me, I've already started to dream about them. I'm not a good test taker, I'm more of a project type person.

So, I need to get 5 hours of solo cross-country time down, right now, I'm right below the limit, so I need to get one more flight in. I'm thinking it will be Friday, and heading up to North Carolina for that one. Winds are looking good, North @ 5.

Happy Flying!

No comments:

Post a Comment