Friday, April 27, 2012

A Licensed Pilot! - 4/19/2012


Well, I am proud to announce, after 9 months of hard work and lots of studying I'm now a licensed pilot!

The date of the test: April 19, 2012 @ 1300
Where: Andrews-Murphy Airport

The test started at 1PM on the 19th, so my instructor and I decided to meet up at 10AM, and leave by 11AM. Unfortunately, the weather conditions at KRYY was not favorable for VFR flight, we would have to file a flight plan and IFR. Clouds were at around 2,000 feet and completely overcast at KRYY and mostly clear at KRHP. So, I prepped the plane, as my instructor got our flight clearances. It was decided that since I do plan on getting my IFR rating, that I should at least fly until cursing altitude. So, we got clearance to take off from KRYY and head into the dark gray clouds.

It was amazing! At first you can see the ground, and in front of you is this wall of gray clouds and then we enter the gray. No more looking out the window for me, it became all gray, and then it started to get all white. We were in the white part of the cloud, and then we broke through at 5,000feet. It was beautiful. I have included the photos below. After we leveled off, the flight instructor took over and I was able to take these photos. The sky above completely blue and the ground below looking like snow.
                                                                                         

 

 
  
  




 



We went to our cursing altitude of 7,000 feet. It was 49 degrees outside.

As we got closer to the North Carolina mountains, the clouds started lifting and breaking. We went though one cumulus cloud when all of the sudden my stomach felt queasy. I thought it was nerves, but the flight instructor said, “You know what that was?” I was curious what he was meaning... We actually hit an updraft which took us up an additional 240 feet. With clouds being completely around, it was actually hard to notice that we gained that much altitude.

We had a successful landing at KRHP, where we met my examiner. He was an extremely nice guy, very professional, and very relaxing actually. We started our test with the oral portion. I've heard that some examiners are very strict, and it's only question and answer. That's it. But my examiner was completely different, it was like having a good conversation with a friend. We talked about my weight-and-balance problem he gave me, plus other possible solutions. We then moved to the cross-country portion of the trip that he had me plan out (from KRHP to KBHM. In the meantime, we also talked about airspaces, aerodynamics, emergency procedures, CRM, night flying, procedure about drinking and drugs. After about two hours, it was decided that we should go for a flight.

We packed our bags, and headed out to 653KB. I pre-flighted the plane while explaining everything I was doing. I certified that the plane was airworthy, and ready to take off. We first did a soft field take off, followed by a soft field landing. We stopped on the runway and next was a short-field take off. Followed by a short-field landing. The short-field landing was right on the dime per the Practical Test Standards. He was actually quite impressed. After that, we did a normal take off. The next landing was suppose to be a normal landing, but 500 feet from the runway he said, “Abort! Abort! Abort!” Which means I had to preform a go-around with 30 degrees of flaps. Very smooth transition. He told me to get into the landing pattern again for runway 26. When I got to the needed altitude, he told me the next scenario: I'm going to lose my engine, and electrical source. I must land the aircraft with no flaps and at a high altitude. So, I had to time my turn into final for runway 26 perfectly, and then slip the aircraft to several hundred feet above the ground to kill both airspeed and altitude. At that time, level off the aircraft, and center on the line. All of this with no power. After that, using ground effect to bleed off my airspeed. I nailed it with 2,000 feet of runway left. Only problem... I kind of left my feet on the breaks too long and they started to burn. Smelt really bad, but no damage was done.

Next we taxied to the beginning of the runway again for a normal take off, to start our cross-country portion of the test. We made it to my first two checkpoints, and then he decided to divert me over to Blairsville. After finishing all my calculations to make sure we could get there, it was time to start procedures. We first did steep turns to the left, then right. Slow flight with flaps, Stall with Flaps. Next was slow flight without flaps, and next take off stalls. I had to follow the Harris VOR for a bit. After that, we went to about 1000 feet above the ground to do ground reference maneuvers. First was S-Turns next was Turns-Around-A-Point, both left and right. After that, the examiner told me to head back to KRHP. After a successful normal landing, I became a licensed pilot!

Going back to KRYY the weather had cleared up so we were able to fly VFR back.

On the 26th, I was told there was a slight issue with my paperwork, and I needed to return to KRHP to get it taken care of. On the 27th, my instructor and I headed back up there. I decided to take my instructor as there were storms in the area, and cloud cover was not VFR friendly. We got up there, and finished all the needed paperwork again. Since we were up there, I was treated to a free burger at a local restaurant in Andrews, NC. I decided to have a Coke and BLT. I love my BLTs.

We flew back that afternoon, under IFR, but I did land back at KRYY as the conditions were favorable for that.

So, now my license says I got it on 4/27/2012. Doesn't really matter in my opinion, the main thing is: I'm now a licensed pilot!

So, what's next? Well, I've flown below the clouds, in the clouds, and above the clouds. I've decided that it's time for me to get licensed to fly in and above them without the instructor. I will start IFR Ground School on 4/30/2012, with flight training starting in a couple of weeks. I'm wanting to look for funding for my IFR license, but it shouldn't be as expensive as my private pilot's license. I am planning my first maiden flight for mid-May to Myrtle Beach. I'm extremely excited about it, but the days I'm looking at going, it appears the weather might not be favorable, per the long term weather models. I really do hope it stays nice.

Well, that's it.... for now... See you below the clouds, and soon in and above them!

1 comment:

  1. Hey man!! I haven't stopped by in a while! Congratulations! Enjoy your PPL!

    ReplyDelete