Saturday, March 31, 2012

I'm Getting Very Nervous – 3/30/2012


Well, it's been awhile since I've posted on the blog. The reasoning is that I haven't flown since March 16. Due to my work schedule, and due to going on vacation for a half of a week, so I wasn't able to fly.

So, on the 16th, I had my Check-ride Stage-check with one of the head flight instructors of the flight school. We found the weak spots and those are what got worked on today (the 30th.)

So it was my first time back into the cockpit since the 16th. It's almost like riding a bicycle, you remember everything you need to do. It felt wonderful being back in there. The problem was that we were having a system move through our area. Weather was warm and moist outside. I was watching the radar while prepping the plane and as you can see from the photo below, a storm was brewing. By the time I go into the flight school to let my instructor know that I was ready, it started to drizzle. We just got into the cockpit of the plane when the bottom let out. It started to pour down rain.



Well, we had two issues in the cockpit that we needed to take care of, so we sit there (engines off) for about 5 minutes until the rain passed. We were still in VFR conditions but barely. When the rain let up, and I moved the ailerons, it was like a water fall coming off the wings. We were going to go to the Northwest, but the storm had stalled just north of Cartersville so we decided to head West. We were done with our run-ups, but at that time, everyone decided it was time to come into the KRYY airspace, so we had a delay of about 10 minutes on the ground before we could take off.

After the storm had passed, it really wasn't that turbulent up there until the sun came out. That's when everything started to evaporate, and it got a tad bumpy... nothing that wasn't controllable. I've been through worst turbulence before.

My instructor wanted to give me experience and recovery with an accelerated stall. An accelerated stall is a stall that happens when the aircraft is experiencing a load factor higher than 1 (1g), like when turning or pulling up from a dive. So, we did some “cleanup maneuvers,” the maneuvers that really needed some work done on them. They were mainly the stalls in fact. As the guy who did my check-ride stated, he could tell I hate stalls, and don't like stalling out the plane. Which is true, I don't like stalling out a plane. But, I have to do it for my test, and yesterday remained in the PTS.

The storm had passed Cartersville, winds were at 040 @ 6kts, which means the favorable runway was 1. Well, I was at about 3,000 feet, and the Cartersville airport's elevation is about 800 feet. I was 1 mile from the airport and needed to land there... why? Engine failure! (Simulated of course.) So I needed to loose 2200 feet in about 1 mile. Well, I had no engine, and to land there, I would pretty much needed to do a nose dive and use the whole runway to land without a guarantee of actually making it. To make it easier and to make sure I made the runway, I had to do a 360 (with no engine) to get to pattern level and land. It's amazing at how much altitude you can loose in 360 because when I got back to the starting point of the 360 I was at the needed altitude and landed successful, perfect landing. There was one problem, but it wasn't my fault. There was another plane lined up to take off, and one of the downwind to land... on runway 19. We were landing on runway 1. So, the plane about to take off, and the one about to land were landing with tailwinds (which isn't recommended.) Why were they taking off with a tailwind? Not really sure. Well, we let those guys do what they needed to do, and we worked on some landing procedures.

Here is a lesson for all you want-to-be pilots out there (and licensed pilots) always, and I mean ALWAYS look down the runway before to start to take off. Today was the perfect reason why. I started to taxi onto the active runway, and do the proper turn to take off (so my nose is now facing down the runway,) when I see a guy start to cross the runway. He wasn't wearing any reflective gear, or anything bright. The only way that he caught my eye was by movement on the runway. This bastard actually started to walk across the runway with an active plane on it. He wasn't running or jogging off either, he was walking! It's lucky a plane wasn't landing or I had started my takeoff roll. So remember kids, keep your eyes outside the window whenever possible. That would have been worst than a bird strike!

Took off to KRYY where we did a slip-to-land. That really needs to be worked on in my opinion. I could of used more rudder, and cleaning up from it could have been better. When I put down the flaps, I had put down too much of them and ballooned up. Landing was a bit rough. I was thinking about doing a go-around, but instructor said I still had enough runway and time (which I did.) If I was there alone, I would of gone around.

So, it was a very successful day in the cockpit and in the air.

After we tied down the plane, we had our usual post-flight meeting. So, the title of this blog is, “I'm getting very nervous.” here is why... the big test will probably be in about two weeks. I would love it to be on April 14 or 15. If I didn't have to work a “special” week at work this week coming up, it would probably be even sooner! I decided that we will probably use the Examiner that is based out of Andrews, NC. So we, the flight instructor and I, will need to fly up there for the exam. I'm already getting very nervous and excited. The big day is around the corner. The day that all student pilot's stride for. There is no room (or money) for failure. I need to pass this exam on the first try. So, this coming weekend, I'm hoping to setup a time with Hutch, so we can do the Oral Practice Exam.

I'm hoping to fly again today, Saturday March 31, but weather really doesn't look the best in the world due to more storms moving into the area. Also have another session with the instructor on Sunday April 1st.

I just can't wait to get the license, as I'm going to take a vacation to the beach! Fly to the beach!

Happy Travels!

3 comments:

  1. Don Jones up in RHP is a great guy. You'll be fine, learn your Tomaato flames and flaps; fog types, and chart symbols.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's who I got scheduled with today. I'm excited about it. Two Wednesday's from now. Gives me more time to study and do maneuvers. I don't want, nor do I plan on failing this thing.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete