Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Night Cross Country - Athens' Style! 1/24/2012

Today was my first night cross country to Athen's. Originally, it was suppose to happen tomorrow, but due to the possibility of rain, my flight instructor came in on his weekend so we could go up tonight. Beautiful night! Pretty much cloudless until we were about 25 miles coming to KRYY, and then I just saw some high cirrus clouds. Couldn't figure out which planet it was, but heading west, towards the Southwest was this bright star, it was beautiful! You can see a lot more stars up in the air, than on the ground at night. A lot more easier to see other aircraft too. Atlanta, and northern Atlanta is beautiful at night (wish I could say the same for the day, lol!) Who's ready to join me in a flight at night?

Coming out of KRYY we took off from runway 27, so about 300 feet from pattern altitude, we started to make our right turn to get on course and to get to our altitude of 3,500 feet. At first, it was difficult for me to find Gwinnett County Airport, but I finally spotted it. Overflew that (as planned.) Flew south of the Winder Airport; was able to turn on the runway lights via our radio, which is pretty cool. Made it to Athens with no problem. Landing was kind of fast, but the recovery from it was pretty good. We landed on Runway 9, and took off from runway 27. The air traffic controller sound so sleepy. I felt sorry for her. According to my flight instructor, most of his students have a problem landing for the first time at night, as they are wary of where the ground is (making sure they don't crash into the ground,) and do a high flare. He said besides the fast landing, it was overall impressive. Coming back we were at 4,500. Going and coming, smooth as silk up there, didn't feel a single bump. (I know this might sound weird, but turbulence, within reason, is kind of fun, but there's a limit of course.) Landing on 27 at KRYY was pretty much flawless. Flare was good, and smooth touchdown. Winds were very light.

So, what's next? Next Wednesday (weather permitting) is another night flight. This time, we are staying local. Per FAA regulations, you must get at least 10 night landings completed, well, I've gotten 2 down, and my night cross country completed. So, I have to do 8 more. The plan is for us to do 4 at Cartersville, and 4 at KRYY. After that, I have to do a cross country stage check with Hutch (who is our ground instructor,) to make sure I know how to do a flight plan (all students have to do this.) After that, will be my first solo cross country, which I think will probably be to Chattanooga.

Bookwork is coming along. I'm still having problems with the mathematics of it all. I will have to take my time, and go step-by-step/equation-by-equation to get it. Still planning for late-March or April to get my license. First trip: Myrtle Beach, SC. Anyone wanna join me?

Jet outside the gate to get into the airfield. N227LA - 1976 Gulfstream Stream II... has 22 seats, weight is over 20,000lbs. Two Rolls-Royce engines, horsepower: 1140 (Turbo-jet.)

Notice the military helicopter in the distance, he took off while we were preflighting our plane at 6:45PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment